In an era when “fake news” and “post-truth” have become buzzwords, documentary film seems poignantly important, a force for chronicling the world — even through a filmmaker’s eyes — that we share in common.
In the next few weeks, eight terrific documentaries that have recently screened at festivals around the world are finally releasing to the public, some in theaters and some via streaming platforms.
2. School Life – Opens in limited theatrical release on September 8
3. Trophy – Opens in limited theatrical release on September 8
4. Ex Libris — The New York Public Library – Opens in limited theatrical release on September 13
5. Strong Island – Debuts on Netflix on September 15
6. Rat Film – Opens in limited theatrical release on September 15
7. The Force – Opens in San Francisco on September 15; New York and Los Angeles on September 22; and in limited additional cities after that
8. The Work – Opens in New York on October 20 and Los Angeles on October 27, with a national rollout to follow
Read the story at Vox.
Receive all of today’s stories in one email every morning. Sign up for DocumentaryNews Daily.